Consortium for International Earth Science Information Network
Information Cooperative Country Nodes
List of Country Nodes
Country nodes enhance the electronic dissemination of data and information within and between countries.
Country Node Concept
A country node provides an organized and user-friendly catalog of data and information about the country and coordinates information from a network of data centers with the country node.
Eventually this information system will include georeferenced datasets, derived products, and other information that to be disseminated either online or via other media, such as on CD-ROM. Recommended Datasets has been identified for the country nodes, but the final selection remains with the country node adminstrators and the country Steering Committee.
A Country Node node has the following functions:
- Coordinates all participating data providers within the country;
- Locates key socioeconomic, environmental, and spatial data sources;
- Establishes data-sharing agreements with data providers;
- Develops directory and inventory metadata and guide information;
- Acquires and conditions data within the coordinating node.
Country Steering Committee
A steering committee composed of government, nongovernment, and private sector members is established in each country. This steering committee makes recommendations to the director/administrator of the Country Node on:
- technical matters;
- specific data sets or data centers whose inventories should be included; and
- a Country Node work plan including identification of ongoing funding for the node.
For more information about the Information Cooperative and its country nodes, please contact:
Vincent J. Abreu
2250 Pierce Road
University Center, MI 48710
Text Browser Utilities:
[CIESIN Home Page,
For more information about CIESIN and our activities contact User Services:
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Telephone: 1-517-797-2727
Last modified 24 August 1995.