A variety of national regulatory measures introduced on CFCs 11 and 12.
UNEP Coordinating Committee for the Ozone Layer (CCOL) established.
Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer.
Entry into force of the Vienna Convention (22/9/1988): 19 nations ratified.
Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer. This required signatory governments to regulate consumption and production:
- CFCs (11, 12, 113, 114. 115) frozen at 1986 levels in 1990, reduced by 20% in 1993, and 50% in 2000.
- Halons (1211, 1301, 2402) frozen at 1986 levels by 2005.
Developing countries that are Parties to the Montreal Protocol have a ten-year exclusionary period.
Entry into force of the Montreal Protocol (1/1/1989): 23 nations ratified.
Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer, as amended in London. This required signatory governments to regulate consumption and production:
- CFCs (11, 12, 113, 114, 115) to be reduced by 20% in 1993, 50% in 1995, 85% in 1997 and phased out in 2000. A study to be completed in 1992 will assess the feasibility of accelerating the reduction schedule.
- Halons (1211, 1301, 2402) are to be reduced by 50% by 1995 with a phase-out (except for essential uses) to occur by 2000. By decision, the parties voted to establish an ad-hoc technical group to report back to them by 1992 concerning the identification of essential uses.
- Carbon tetrachloride emissions to be reduced by 85% by 1995 and phased out by 2000.
- Methyl chloroform emissions to be frozen in 1993, reduced by 30% in 1995, 70% in 2000, and phased out in 2005.
- Other fully halogenated CFCs to be reduced by 20% in 1993, 85% in 1997, and phased out in 2000.
Establishment of the Interim Multilateral Fund to provide financial assistance to developing countries in order to facilitate compliance with the control measures of the Montreal Protocol.
82 nations have ratified the Vienna Convention.
76 nations have ratified the Montreal Protocol.
19 nations have ratified the amended Montreal Protocol.
20 states have ratified the Amendment to the Montreal Protocol, thereby triggering the mechanism bringing it into force.
The Amendment entered into force.